Welcome!

Welcome to my blog about my life with Bipolar Disorder. For years I have suffered, as have my family and friends with my manic highs and extreme lows. Bipolar Disorder has caused a lot of destruction in my life, and for the first time I finally feel that the combination of therapy, medication, ECT treatments, and unwavering support from my husband, son, family and friends are really pulling me out of the darkness...but, it's been quite a journey and I've learned so much along the way. I am hoping that by sharing some of what I have been through, it might help others with their diagnosis and/or treatment.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Is It Worth It?

So I was talking to my wonderful, hysterical mother this morning and I was telling her about a conversation I had with Jordan (my son) last night in which Jordan told me something I had done that the ECT treatments made me forget. 

The ECT treatments cause an incredible amount of forgetfulness...I have lost enormous amounts of my memories, large and small.  Most of mine tend not to come back even when my family "reminds" me of the event...it's just gone...and that can be very sad and oh so frustrating!  Apparently the memory loss varies from person to person..and it hits me pretty hard.

So my Mom and I were talking about this and she said "is it worth it?"  I really had to stop and think about it - our lives are about creating memories - that's the basis of so much of what we do.  We look at photos to take us back to those memories...so many conversations are based on shared memories..but, I conceded that even though the memory loss is tragic - the good that the treatments do still out-weighs the sadness of the memory loss - or, trust me, I wouldn't go through it.

I thank God everyday that my family and friends are so patient - we just make a joke out of it and they know they will have to remind me again and again...On the upside you can tell me the same joke over and over or the same story and I never tire of it!!! :)

Group therapy tomorrow - the beginning of a very busy week.

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Great attitude! God's grace allows you to look at the bright side instead of the dark. Stay there and enjoy the jokes over and over!
    TeeHee

    ReplyDelete