Welcome!

Welcome to my blog about my life with Bipolar Disorder. For years I have suffered, as have my family and friends with my manic highs and extreme lows. Bipolar Disorder has caused a lot of destruction in my life, and for the first time I finally feel that the combination of therapy, medication, ECT treatments, and unwavering support from my husband, son, family and friends are really pulling me out of the darkness...but, it's been quite a journey and I've learned so much along the way. I am hoping that by sharing some of what I have been through, it might help others with their diagnosis and/or treatment.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Forgiveness

As the first posting to my new blog, I'm sure I will need to be careful to not be too long-winded...this coming from the woman who writes the 4 page Christmas letter! 

I have had so many years of treatments (successful and failures), have read so much information on my own, have been hospitalized 5 times and tried to committ suicide 6 times - it's difficult to know where to start.  But I do know something that's entirely different now...I have hope.

My hope has come from a combination of places including ECT treatments, my family, my husband, my son, medication, individual therapy, group therapy, inpatient treatment, and God...not necessarily in that order!

I would love nothing more than for this blog to help even one person who is struggling with mental illness.  It's so easy to end up feeling alone, broken, shameful, and as if people close to you might be better off without you..mental illness does not have to define you! 

For years I have let Bipolar Disorder define who I am as a person, and unfortunately I tend to not make the best decisions when I'm manic (understatement!)  I am currently dealing with legal issues that are a result of my chosing to ignore my illness.  It's so easy to stop treatment because you "feel better" when, in fact, feeling that good is a sign of mania.

Currently I see a Psychiatrist, Psychologist (individually and in group), I take Lexapro, and receive ECT treatments once every three weeks.  The ECT treatments have helped tremendously...and those along with the support from my husband and family have helped me to finally feel as though I can manage my illness and still be loved.  I'm finally facing the shame I have felt head-on and am hoping to work my way through those feelings.

For those of you following this blog - thank you!  I appreciate your time and any comments or suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. OK. To be helpful to us not directly involved you will have to not use too many initials...what is ECT? Saying a prayer for your success and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry...ECT is Electo Convulsive Therapy (Shock Therapy). Thank you for the prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Now I am even more impressed with your strength and vision. God will see you through this...

    ReplyDelete